New York University College of Dentistry
|NYU College of Dentistry|
|Location||New York City, New York, USA|
The New York University College of Dentistry is one of 14 schools and divisions at New York University. It is located near Manhattan's Midtown area. Currently NYU College of Dentistry is well known for its strong clinical training, its outstanding research ranking, and a wide and diverse patient pool.
The College of Dentistry was founded in 1865 as the "New York College of Dentistry." It merged with NYU in 1925. NYUCD is the third oldest and the largest dental school in the United States. In 1957 the College moved into its present home on First Avenue, which in 1965 was named the K. B. Weissman Clinical Science Building. In 1978 the Arnold and Marie Schwartz Hall of Dental Sciences was completed. In 1987 New York University dedicated the David B. Kriser Dental Center. In 2001 two preclinical simulation labs opened. The two 13,000 square feet (1,200 m2) laboratories provide cutting-edge technology to teach preclinical sciences. In 2002, the Leonard I. Bluestone Center for Clinical Research opened - the only dental school-based research center that provides beds for 24-hour patient monitoring.
In fall of 2005, NYU's Division of Nursing moved from the Steinhardt School of Education to form the College of Nursing within the College of Dentistry.
The College of Dentistry is located on First Avenue between East 24th and 25th Streets, about 6 blocks south of the NYU School of Medicine. The College, comprising the Schwartz Hall of Dental Sciences and the K. B. Weissman Clinical Science Building, houses patient clinics, research and teaching facilities, educational programs, and administrative offices. Both facilities house a total of 506 operatories. The operatories are designed in modules, each containing a waiting room, offices, X-ray facilities, and a seminar room for instruction and consultation. These facilities enable the College to provide high-quality oral health care for thousands of New Yorkers daily. The Cafeteria is recently re-designed, and the clinics and classrooms have all undergone extensive refurbishment.
The College of Dentistry maintains one of the largest dental libraries in the United States. The original library was founded in 1909 and renamed the Waldmann Memorial Library in 1978. The NYUCD library contains over 36,000 bound volumes, 440 professional journals, a large collection of audiovisual and CD-ROM materials, student and classroom materials, 18 public access computer workstations and one of the largest dental rare book collections in the United States. The library is currently located across the street from the Dental Center in the VA Medical Center on 23rd Street. The students have 24 hour access to the library.
Since 2001, NYUCD has adopted a new educational approach by replacing traditional textbooks with digitalized media, called VitalBook. All required materials are available to students through a computer-enhanced curriculum. The new technology gives each student a license for all of the textbooks in the curriculum in the form of a DVD. In addition to traditional textbook content, students are able to view slide presentations and video streams of lab and clinical procedures and do full text searches on their materials. In addition, all lecture material is available to all students and faculty through itunes University, enhancing the learning experience
- New York University College of Dentistry
- Hendricson, William; Panagakos, Fotinos; Eisenberg, Elise; McDonald, James; Guest, Gary; Jones, Pamela; Johnson, Lynn; Cintron, Laura (2004). "Electronic curriculum implementation at North American dental schools". Journal of Dental Education 68 (10): 1041–57. PMID 15466056
[Interwiki transcluding is disabled]. http://www.jdentaled.org/cgi/citmgr?gca=jde;68/10/1041. Retrieved 2007-07-25.